Monday, September 15, 2014

5k's and protein shakes

The start of the fall season also starts the season of all things races. I couldn't even tell you the last time I ran a race of any distance. Last year one of my New Years Resolutions was to run a half marathon. Lets just say that didn't work out too well for me. Running isn't my favorite workout, I would much rather lift barbells over my head and do countless numbers of burpees. However, I decided that I needed to change that!

Since I've been sticking to my gym routine so well I figured that I could sign up for a 5k and run it easy peasy. After much research I found the Travis Manion Foundation 9/11 Heroes Run in Philadelphia. I knew that this was going to be the perfect start to my running season. I'm not the biggest fan of going places by myself so I was super stoked to know that I would be running alongside my girl Katera! And by alongside I mean way behind her, like 10 minutes behind her. That girl is a beast and I wish to one day run like her.

On Sunday I woke up bright and early so I wasn't a slug driving to the race. I made myself a protein shake (which I will be discussing later) and headed out to the Please Touch Museum. Once I got there, I forgot how exciting it was to get ready for a race. I know that a 5k is only 3.1 miles but when you are doing it for such a great cause it is so much more then that. Before we all got into postion we all sang the National Anthem, which to be honest, made me silently cry to myself. I knew I had to get through this race for all those that couldn't be here to run with us. The countdown began and the anticipation grew. I turned on my bollywood Pandora station (yes, bollywood) and set off. Around mile 2 I hurt my ankle so I didn't do quite as well as I would have hoped. As soon as the finish line was in sight, I reminded myself of those that didn't even get the opportunity to run the race and I finished out strong. The post-run high is such a great feeling! Minus the throbbing ankle pain!


Now, for a quick PSA.
I have finally found my favorite protein powder. It has taken me a few different brands and flavors but I am pretty confident this is the one. Garden of Life's Raw Energy Protein with Guayaki Yerba Mate. This is a supplement exclusive to Whole Foods and if I didn't asked the lovely Whole Body Team Member what she would suggest, I would have never known this was even an option. I can't really describe the flavor because it is like nothing I have ever had before, but it is quite delicious! One scoop of powder + 8 oz. of unsweetened almond milk = one energy packed shake! It definitely keeps me going and pushing through my work out. So go out there and buy yourself some! You won't regret it. I promise!


No comments:

Post a Comment